ML 64080


Wattled Guan -- Aburria aburri More
Audio »
Video »
species »








Number of individuals=UU2+;  

Paul A Schwartz
2 Mar 1969 at 03:00

  • Venezuela
  • Cerro El Teteo; ridge south of camp
  • 7.42   -72.07
  • 1100 meters
  • Mono
    Sampling Rate
    Bit Depth
  • Electro-Voice 650
  • Parabola 91.4cm (36in)
    Equipment Note

NOTES: Neotropical Institute Cut # 5. Bulk reel: 214; Extra cut length: 8:29Weather: Clear, slight haze; moon at beginning.a) Two birds in ~ focus over on north ridge, apparently fairly close together. Several others heard in background (also pauxi). Note: @ 3:00 AM although there was a thin haze the moon was bright enough so I could distinguish forms even inside the forest. Quality: 2. Level: +5.@ 5:00 AM it was getting darker, moon down; I could barely see forms inside forest. @ 5:30 AM completely dark, no forms distinguishable inside forest.Notes re: cut 5): I awakened @ 2:30 AM to hear the "Gualias" in full song on all sides, so I dressed and went up on ridge south of camp where I had left the parabola. During this time a bird that had been singing up on the ridge north of camp came down and sang in the top of a tree right by camp but shortly returned to its former position.I was set up by 3:00 AM on south ridge. The bird normally there and which is very likely the same individual of cuts 2/3 was not there at this time. Therefore, I focusesd on the birds on north ridge (~ 500 m. away across the ravine) where there were two birds singing fairly close together, some of which seems surely to be the same bird mentioned above (and may be the bird that used to sing on days past on the south ridge where I was now not up). Those two birds were still singing constantly @ 4:00 AM and so one of them apparently had thus been at it for 1-1/2 hours on this same perch (except for the short interval down over camp) and during this time no display was given. Also @3:30 the bird to the south of me became silent. @ 5:00 AM the main bird was still singing, still no display; by this time the other birds to north had become silent but those to south had started again.@ ~5:30 AM I heard one display to south@ ~ 5:35 AM I heard one dislay from the bird to north. No others noticed up to 6:00 AM@ ~ 6:15 AM again I heard one display from the one to north and then is next ~ 10' I heard two more from there, then no more up to ~ 7:00 AM, by when it was quite light and song also was much decreased.Note: This was 2-3 days before full moon which is the ~ time when I have previously found cracida in a frenzy of activity in the hours between midnight and dawn.Quality: 2. Level: +5.b) Clear, no moon. Now focused towards south. Several birds heard as well as two pauxi. This is a continuation from cut 4a of pauxi and then continues again as cut 4b of pauxi. Quality: 1-2. Level: +10.c) Clear, no moon. Now focused toward north again, after a bird gave one display there. However, although several birds singing, again two apparently close together (and another, the one in most exact focus, which sings only occasionally, or else at times sings more quietly), I didn't hear another display. Quality: 1-2. Level: +5.d) GOOD. Clear, no moon. This is now a bird to the west of me and quite close. It's probably same bird as in cuts 2 & 3. It left without displaying. Low background noise. Can hear well in some songs the preliminary soft notes. By 6:20 AM it still had not started to get light. Sunrise @ ~ 7:00 AM. Quality: 1. Level: +5.

Close Title