NPR/NGS Radio Expeditions
- Chitwan National Park; The Nepal Conservation Research Training Centre
- 27.5 84.33333
Mono=1; Single-Channel Mono; DPA 4060 Omnidirectional Microphone
JOHN¿S STANDUPS ON RHINO
1:05 Bushes over our heads now.. descrbing how guys drive elephants.
2:00 Well we might have lost him¿moving into a new formation. Trying to outflank Rhino.
3:24 there he goes something tromping thorugh the woods.
4:38 after about an hour and a half you really do get to feel the vertebrae under your legs..couple of guys behind me trying to get a little sleep.
5:40 so we just wait.
* 7:05 that thing could be 15 feet in front of me and I wouldn be able to see it¿that¿s how desne the brush is.
11 How do you tell a female from a male¿genitals¿that shouldn¿t be hard if its rhino sized. Just the general shape too.
11:50 You ever get the feeling the rhino is smarter than you are.
* 13:04 Youd couldn¿t build a machine that¿s doing what these elephants are doing¿tiptoe down a path, herd a rhino, face it off if it had to.
14:32 There he is. Is that the guy or the gal. Trying to get away¿running. These things can go fast.
15:40 Think we got him now.
18:54 I see ¿see¿see¿1 oclock. Or 11. 100 yards. Now we¿re monving in drive him to the clearing. There you go. Through the bushes see the ears wiggling.
23:51 The elephant with the shoot is moving in. They¿re going to shoot it right here. Listen for the pop. Taking aim (whispering) Rhino is coming right at us¿15 yards. Now they got a good shot. Making a move trying to get out of the circle. Shooter elephant coming behind. Male¿they don¿t want it.. okay almost wrong sex.
* 36:53 PROMOS¿.Did you ever wake up in the morning and decide what you¿d like to do is ride an elephant trhough a national park in Nepal and look for rhinos and tigers¿.that¿s what we¿re going to do on the next npr/ngs radio exp.
38:37 Hi I¿m John Nielsen¿
1:24 There¿s our boy¿there¿s our girl¿sorry.
Trying to outflank us¿turning back¿moving again¿sees an opening.
1:27:36 we¿re deep in the woods¿high brush¿two rhinos surrounded¿four.
Making a move.
1:29¿coming into range..taking aim
** 1:29:55 SHOT¿gottem¿okay this guys got 15 mins of consciousness left if things work right¿making a move running away¿taking off..
* 1:33 :42 We hit the Rhino it ran away¿trying to catch up and get it into the clearing before it¿s knocked out. This could really be trouble for the rhino.
* 2:03:10 ANOTHER THWACK OF ELEPHANT¿S HEAD.